Records of the Naval Electronic Systems Command
(Record Group 345)
1 cu. ft.
Table of Contents
- 345.1 ADMINISTRATIVE HISTORY
- 345.2 RECORDS OF THE NAVAL ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS COMMAND
- 345.3 MOTION PICTURES (GENERAL)
Established: In the Naval Material Command, Office of the Chief of Naval Operations, Department of the Navy, by Navy Reorganization Order No. 5, June 20, 1966.
In the Department of the Navy:
- Bureau of Equipment (wireless telegraphy functions, 1903-10)
- Bureau of Steam Engineering (radio telegraphy functions, 1910-20)
In the Bureau of Engineering, Department of the Navy:
- Radio Division (1920-30)
- Radio and Sound Division (1930-40)
In the Bureau of Ships, Department of the Navy:
- Radio Branch, Design Division (1940-42)
- Radio Division (1942-45)
- Electronics Division (1945-66)
Abolished: Effective May 6, 1985, as part of functional realignment and abolishment of Naval Material Command, by Naval Material Establishment Transition Notice 5400/11, April 18, 1985, pursuant to Press Release 186-85, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Public Affairs), April 9, 1985, and letter, Secretary of the Navy (John Lehman) to Chairman, Senate Armed Services Committee (Barry Goldwater), April 9, 1985.
Successor Agencies: Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command.
Related Records: Records of the Radio Division, Bureau of Engineering, and the Radio Division, Bureau of Ships, in RG 19, Records of the Bureau of Ships.RECORDS
|RECORD TYPES||RECORD LOCATIONS||QUANTITIES|
|Motion Pictures||College Park||1 reel|
History: Navy radio activities initially assigned to Bureau of Equipment, 1903. Upon functional abolishment of bureau, June 30, 1910, by an act of June 24, 1910 (36 Stat. 613), its wireless telegraphy responsibilities were transferred to the Bureau of Steam Engineering, and vested in Radio Telegraphy Division, redesignated Radio Division by 1917. Bureau of Steam Engineering redesignated Bureau of Engineering by an act of June 4, 1920 (41 Stat. 828). Radio Division redesignated Radio and Sound Division, September 1930. Bureau of Engineering abolished by an act of June 20, 1940 (54 Stat. 492), with functions transferred to newly established Bureau of Ships. In initial Bureau of Ships organization, August 15, 1940, radio functions assigned to Radio Branch of Design Division. Separate Radio Division established in reorganization of October 29, 1942. Redesignated Electronics Division in bureau reorganization of June 15, 1945. Functions transferred to Office of the Chief of Naval Operations upon abolishment of Bureau of Ships by Department of Defense Order, March 9, 1966. Subsequently assigned to Naval Electronic Systems Command, 1966. SEE 345.1.
Motion Pictures (1 reel): West Greenland, taken during U.S. Navy Expedition to North Greenland (Operation Nanook), ca. 1949.
SEE UNDER 345.2.
Bibliographic note: Web version based on Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives of the United States. Compiled by Robert B. Matchette et al. Washington, DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1995.
3 volumes, 2428 pages.
This Web version is updated from time to time to include records processed since 1995.