- ICRC: Terrorism
- The International Committee of the Red Cross maintains this site which presents the juxtaposition of terrorism with IHL, or International Humanitarian Law.
- NATO and the fight against terrorism
- NATO's site includes news, topics, documents, and videos.
- This site from the Council on Foreign Relations provides information by region, publication, and year.
- Text and Status of the United Nations Conventions on Terrorism
- Full-text of UN conventions dealing with terrorism. Available in multiple languages.
- United Nations Action to Counter Terrorism
- This site includes latest news, press releases, and key documents.
- The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime and Terrorism Prevention
- UNODC works to prevent and counter terrorism. This website offers useful resources such as legislation databases, guides, studies, and more.
Top of Page
Federal Government Resources
The 9/11 Commission Report
- This is the official report of the events leading up to the September 11, 2001 attacks.
Bureau of Counterterrorism
- This office of the U.S. Department of State provides reports, fact sheets, initiatives, and more.
- Counter Terrorism Sanctions
- Information about sanctions imposed by the Treasury Department, including Terrorist Assets Reports and executive orders, statutes, and regulations dealing with sanctions.
- Department of Homeland Security
- The official web site of the Department of Homeland Security.
- National Counterterrorism Center
- "NCTC serves as the primary organization in the U.S. government for integrating and analyzing all intelligence pertaining to terrorism possessed or acquired by the U.S. government (except purely domestic terrorism)."
- National Terrorism Advisory System
- From the Department of Homeland Security, this "system will more effectively communicate information about terrorist threats by providing timely, detailed information to the public, government agencies, first responders, airports and other transportation hubs, and the private sector."
- Preventing Terrorism
- The Department of Homeland Security provides information about preventing terrorist attacks through biological, chemical, and nuclear security; countering violent extremism; and counter-IED activities.
- From the Department of Homeland Security, this page gives you information on how to be prepared for terrorist threats.
- This site presents the FBI's efforts to "neutralize terrorist cells and operatives here in the U.S., to help dismantle extremist networks worldwide, and to cut off financing and other forms of support provided by terrorist sympathizers."
- Information from FEMA about how citizens can plan for and respond to terrorist threats.
- Travel Alerts and Warnings
- Travel Alerts and Warnings are issued when the State Department decides, based on all relevant information, to recommend that Americans avoid travel to a certain country.
- USS Cole Commission Report
- Report on commission formed to report on improvements of U.S. policies and practices for
deterring, disrupting, and mitigating terrorist attacks on U.S. forces.
- The World Trade Center Attack: Official Documents
- A selective guide to the official government documents related to the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center. Very thorough site covering government agencies' responses, made available by Columbia University Libraries.
Top of Page
U.S. Policy on Terrorism
- America's War on Terrorism
- The Federation of American Scientists site provides information and analysis of emerging security policy.
- Countering the Changing Threat of International Terrorism
- This National Commission on Terrorism report from 2000 reviews American policies on international terrorism prior to the 9/11 attacks.
- The Inman Report: Report of the Secretary of State's Advisory Panel on Overseas Security
- This 1985 report outlines the scope and dimension of U.S. security problems in international business and diplomacy. It was commissioned in response to the 1983 bombings of the U.S. Embassy and the Marine barracks in Beirut, Lebanon.
- National Strategy for Combating Terrorism
- A 2006 report from the White House outlining the national strategy for combating terrorism, which focuses on identifying and defusing threats before they reach America's borders.
- The National Strategy for the Physical Protection of Critical Infrastructures and Key Assets
- This report identifies the goals necessary to protect America's infrastructure and assets vital to America's public health and safety, national security, governance, economy, and public confidence.
- Terrorism and U.S. Policy
- From the National Security Archive, Volume I of the September 11th Sourcebooks.
Top of Page
- Center for Terrorism Law
- "Housed in our state-of-the-art facility at St. Marys University School of Law, San Antonio, Texas, the Center for Terrorism Law is a fully operational legal research center dedicated to the study of legal issues associated with both antiterrorism and counterterrorism, with particular emphasis on cyberspace and information assurance technologies."
- Chicago Project on Security and Terrorism
- This website from the University of Chicago provides a database of suicide attacks, a blog, news, and videos.
- Combating Terrorism Center
- "The Combating Terrorism Center at West Point bridges the operational and academic realms by providing present and future leaders with the intellectual tools needed to defeat and deter terrorist threats to our nation."
- Institute for Biosecurity
- At Saint Louis University College for Public Health & Social Justice. This web site offers extensive information on bioterrorism and current research.
- International Institute for Counter-Terrorism
- "ICT is one of the leading academic institutes for counter-terrorism in the world, facilitating international cooperation in the global struggle against terrorism. ICT is an independent think tank providing expertise in terrorism, counter-terrorism, homeland security, threat vulnerability and risk assessment, intelligence analysis and national security and defense policy."
- START: National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism
- START is a research and education center based at the University of Maryland. The website includes many resources such as the Global Terrorism Database.
- U.S. Air Force Counterproliferation Center
- The Counterproliferation Center was established at the Air University to integrate "education, research, and critical thinking on unconventional weapons policies and operational practices." The website provides publications, reading lists, and links to more information.
Top of Page
- The Cyberdomain
- This website is the portal to the Department of Defense's cybersecurity information. Included are news stories, speeches and remarks, and articles, as well as links to the cybersecurity websites of the Army, Navy, and Air Force.
- The Center for Strategic and International Studies offers information designed to help the public understand the need for a comprehensive cybersecurity strategy.
- Documents from the U.S. Senate Committee on Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs dealing with the issue of cybersecurity, including statements, letters, and text of legislation.
- Cybersecurity: Authoritative Reports and Resources, by Topic
- A report from the Congressional Research Service.
- Preliminary Cybersecurity Framework
- This preliminary framework was developed by the National Institute of Standards and Technology in response to Executive Order 13636 of February, 2013.
Top of Page