About the Federal Records Centers
Nobody knows Federal records better than NARA's Federal Records Centers Program. Since 1950, we have safeguarded the nation's records, including citizen tax returns, Official Military Personnel Folders, passport applications, and Top Secret military records. Every day, NARA's Federal Records Centers deliver on the agency's mission to provide ready access to essential evidence.
We are Federal employees who proudly serve our Federal customers. We help customers navigate the intricacies of Federal regulations to ensure that the Nation's records are protected and remain available for their scheduled life.
- We maintain facilities that are fully compliant with regulations that protect records from fire, theft, pests, water damage and natural disasters.
- We provide high-quality, cost-effective storage and servicing of records for our Federal customers.
- We are developing state-of-the-art technology
to ensure that we will be able to continue to serve Federal agencies' needs for
electronic records management in the digital era.
Key statistics about the Federal Records Centers:
- 17 facilities in 9 regions throughout the United States
- Total holdings of 27 million cubic feet of records
- 13 million reference requests serviced annually
- 18,000 tons of paper recycled annually
- Professional staff of approximately 1,100 Federal employees
- Nearly 400 Federal agency customers
For more information on the NARA Federal Records Centers Program, please contact us:
Federal Records Center
8601 Adelphi Road, Suite 3600
College Park, MD 20740
Local Federal Records Centers offer training on FRC services (including transfer, disposition and reference procedures), either at records centers or onsite at agency
Please contact your local FRC for more information.
NARA's records management team offers a comprehensive
certification course for Federal employees on records management.