The Washington National Records Center (WNRC) at Suitland, Maryland
4205 Suitland Road,
Suitland, MD 20746-8001
Facility hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m.. to 4:30 p.m.
Research hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Closed weekends and Federal holidays.
Visiting the WNRC
The Washington National Records Center (WNRC) is located in the Suitland Federal Complex in Suitland, Maryland, approximately 7 miles east of the Capitol. All visitors must enter through Gate 5 at the Federal Complex.
You will need to schedule your visit, delivery or pickup of records at least a day in advance, no later than 4 p.m., so the WNRC can ensure the guards know who is visiting. Please arrive at least 20 minutes early to allow time for security processing.
You must present a government issued photo ID to the security guards in order to enter.
Directions to the WNRC
By Car From the Capital Beltway:
- From I-495, take Exit 11B, Pennsylvania Avenue, toward Washington, DC
- Merge onto MD-4 N/Pennsylvania Avenue
- Turn left onto Silver Hill Road (5th traffic signal)
- Turn right at Swann Road
- Enter Gate 5 at the Federal Complex
By Car from Downtown Washington, DC:
- Take Pennsylvania Avenue east and across the Anacostia River
- Turn right onto Silver Hill Road (approximately 4 miles after the border with Maryland)
- Turn right at Swann Road (fourth traffic signal)
- Enter Gate 5 at the Federal Complex on Swann Road
The closest Metrorail station is the Suitland Station on the Green line.
- Take any Green line train traveling towards Branch Avenue.
- Exit at the Suitland Station (the second to the last stop on the line)
- (Note: It is some distance from the WNRC and there is no shuttle service between the two).
- Pedestrian traffic must enter the Federal Complex at Gate 5 at the intersection of Silver Hill and Swan Roads. The WNRC is located towards the rear of the Federal Complex.
See the Metro website for the latest information on times and schedules.
* Please see our Privacy Statement