All of us at the National Personnel Records Center have deep empathy for those of you who experienced this tragedy. We are committed to providing expedited service to your emergency needs. If you need a DD214 (separation document), we typically process them in ten working days. If that is fast enough for you, please go to vetrecs.archives.gov to request the document you need and send your signature page according to the instructions posted.
If you need a separation document even faster or other documents to respond to emergency needs, please submit your request through the same website listed above, but write "Sandy victim" at the bottom of the signature page and fax it to 314-801-0763 or 314-801-0764.
If you do not use the web, you may fax us at this number 314-801-0763 or 314-801-0764 using an SF-180 or a plain sheet of paper with the following information:
- The documents or information you need,
- The most complete identification of the veteran available (full name, SSN/Service #, DOB, branch and approximate dates of service),
- The fax number or mailing address to which we should send the information,
- The name of the requestor and relationship to the veteran,
- The signature of the veteran or deceased veteran's next of kin (if different than the requestor). Department of Defense instructions indicate that we must have the written consent of the next of kin and proof of death in order to reply to requests for copies of a veteran's records from anyone other than the veteran. The next of kin is defined as: unremarried widow or widower, son, daughter, father, mother, brother or sister.
- The deadline for receipt of this information, and
- The nature of the emergency (i.e. burial, medical care, VA loan, etc).
- Proof of Death, such as death certificate, a copy of an obituary, or a statement signed by the funeral director
If you are a former federal employee and need information from your civil service records, you may fax your request to 618-935-3019. Include your full name, SSN, DOB, name of agency and dates of service. Please sign your request and include the fax number or mailing address to which we should send the information. If you are requesting information on behalf of a former federal employee, supply the same information and include the subject's written signature. If you are an HR Office you may fax your request to 618-935-3019. Include your full name, SSN, name of agency and dates of service. Please sign your request and include the fax number or mailing address to which we should send the information.
If you are a current federal employee please contact the Office of Personnel Management at www.opm.gov for questions regarding your benefits and employment.