Citizen Contribution Policy
You are encouraged to contribute tags and transcriptions to both digital objects and archival descriptions in the National Archives Catalog. Please be aware of the following policies while providing contributions:
- NARA will remove contributions that contain abusive, vulgar, offensive, threatening or harassing language; personal attacks of any kind; or offensive terms that target specific individuals or groups.
- NARA will remove contributions that are clearly off-topic, that promote services or products, or that promote or oppose any political party, person campaigning for elected office, or any ballot proposition.
- NARA will remove contributions with personally identifiable information such as social security numbers, addresses, and telephone numbers. However, if a document contains archival or historical personally identifiable information, it may be transcribed. Also, names of individuals identified in photos and general geographic information, such as where the photo was taken, are permitted.
- Contributions provided in no way constitute a legal or official notice to NARA or any official or employee of NARA for any purpose.
- Contributions on this website may be treated as a federal record.
- The content of all contributions are visible to the public, thus submissions should not contain anything you do not wish to broadcast to the general public.
- NARA does not discriminate against any views, but reserves the right not to post content that does not adhere to these standards.
- By contributing transcriptions to the online catalog you accept that other users may edit, alter, or remove your contribution.
- By transcribing a document, you agree that you will not assert or retain any intellectual property rights, including copyright of the transcription.
- If you think any of the user contributed information on the online catalog is subject to a valid copyright claim, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When transcribing records, you should make a good faith effort to accurately represent the information contained in the record. If a document or record is not legible in some parts, please indicate with “[illegible].” Please consult the Transcription Tips for more information.
- Contributions by NARA staff will be identified on the catalog by displaying their first and last name followed by “(NARA Staff)” — e.g. John Smith (NARA Staff)