Records of the War Minerals Relief Commission
(Record Group 194)
155 cu. ft.
Table of Contents
- 194.1 ADMINISTRATIVE HISTORY
- 194.2 RECORDS OF THE COMMISSION
195 lin. ft.
- 194.2.1 General records
- 194.2.2 Records of commission officials
Established: In the Department of the Interior, by the War Minerals Relief Act (40 Stat. 1274), March 2, 1919.
Transfers: To the Office of the Solicitor, Department of the Interior, May 1, 1923. Functions: Advised the Secretary of the Interior in adjudicating mineowners' claims for losses relating to the production of vital minerals in compliance with wartime government demands. Advised on petitions submitted for review of claims under an act of February 13, 1929 (45 Stat. 1166), and on the reopening and adjustment of certain claims under an act of May 18, 1936 (49 Stat. 1355).
Abolished: April 15, 1940.
Successor Agencies: Office of the Chief Clerk, Department of the Interior, until June 30, 1941 (completion of unfinished work of the commission).
Finding Aids: Kathleen E. Riley, comp., "Preliminary Inventory of the War Minerals Relief Commission," NC 128 (Sept. 1965).
Textual Records: Claims files, 1919-41 (165 ft.). Claims lists, 1919, and indexes, 1933-37. Records relating to recommendations, decisions, and awards, 1919-38. Special file on administration, legislation, and history of the production program, 1917-29. General correspondence and related commission records, 1919-41.
Textual Records: Correspondence and other records of Commissioner John Briar, 1919-36. Records of the chief engineer, 1918-23; chief clerk, 1918-25; and chief accountant, 1918-25.
Bibliographic note: Web version based on Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives of the United States. Compiled by Robert B. Matchette et al. Washington, DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1995.
3 volumes, 2428 pages.
This Web version is updated from time to time to include records processed since 1995.