How can I search the Census Records?
You can access census records many different ways:
- Visiting the National Archives Building in Washington, DC or one of our regional facilities located in
New York City,
San Francisco, and
- Visit State Archives or
- Contacting public libraries, historical societies, and other research facilities.
- Purchasing rolls of the microfilm from us.
- Using online services, such as
ancestry.com which has digitized
many census holdings from the National Archives.
(Available free-of-charge at the National Archives facilities nationwide and through many libraries, otherwise by subscription.)
- Check with the USGenWeb project to see if census records from your states of
interest have been transcribed (free of charge).
See both http://www.us-census.org/ and
Please note, due to staffing limitations, the National Archives can not conduct census research on your behalf.