Guide to Archival Holdings of the National Archives at New York City
- Introduction, How to Use This Guide, Explanation of Record Group Entries
- Alphabetical List of Record Groups
- Numerical List of Record Groups
- Record Groups 3 through 41
- Record Groups 52 through 96
- Record Groups 103 through 190
- Record Groups 202 through 293
- Record Groups 306 through Donated Materials
Records of the National War Labor Board (World War II)
The National War Labor Board (NWLB) was established in the Office for Emergency Management (OEM) by an Executive order of January 12, 1942. It was to act as final arbiter of wartime labor disputes and to pass on adjustments in certain wages and salaries. An Executive order of September 19, 1945, transferred the NWLB to the Department of Labor. The NWLB was terminated by the Executive order of December 31, 1945, that established the National Wage Stabilization Board (NWSB) with all powers, functions, and responsibilities of the NWLB relating to stabilization of wages and salaries as well as limited functions relating to the settlement of disputes. The NWSB was terminated by an Executive order of December 12, 1946.
While the initial functioning of the NWLB was solely in Washington, DC, the NWLB announced establishment of 10 regional advisory offices on October 29, 1942. The authority of these first regional offices was quite limited, but on January 12, 1943, the NLRB created two new regions and converted the (now 12) regional advisory offices to regional war labor boards with considerable independent authority in resolving disputes. The NWLB also created several special tripartite industry commissions and panels to deal with particular industries nationally.
Volume: 407 cubic feet
Records of Region II (New York State and northern New Jersey). The records relate to NWLB and NWSB intervention in labor disputes that resulted in the enforcement of board decisions or mediated settlement. The records are primarily case files including card indexes, correspondence, decisions, memorandums, minutes of meetings, reports, union contracts, wage and salary studies, and survey reports.
Entries 165 through 167, 173 through 175, 177, 178, 462, 463, and 481 in Estelle Rebec, comp., Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the National War Labor Board, World War II, PI 78 (1955).
Records of the War Manpower Commission
The War Manpower Commission (WMC) was established within the Office for Emergency Management by an Executive order of April 18, 1942. Operating through regional and State WMC offices and local offices of the U.S. Employment Service, it recruited labor for the war effort and essential civilian industries, trained labor for essential jobs, analyzed manpower utilization practices to increase labor efficiency, and accumulated national labor market information. It was terminated by an Executive order of September 19, 1945, and its functions were transferred to the U.S. Employment Service.
Volume: 47 cubic feet
Records of the New York regional office (region 2). The records document civilian production, employment stabilization programs, and manpower utilization surveys. Included are appeal case records, applications, case histories, compilations, regional central files, organizational materials, reports, and tabulations.
Box contents list.
Access to some files or portions of documents may be restricted due to privacy concerns.
Records of the Office of Defense Transportation
The Office of Defense Transportation (ODT) was established in the Office for Emergency Management on December 18, 1941, to promote the maximum utilization of domestic transportation facilities to support the war effort. It was authorized to coordinate activities of Federal agencies and private transportation groups to prevent congestion and make maximum use of available resources.
The ODT employed a network of regional offices to facilitate the implementation of its activities, including regional administrative offices, which oversaw Regional Operating Managers in significant transportation hubs. There were also District and Federal Managers responsible for specific firms and field representatives.
Volume: 17 cubic feet
Records of the Waterway Transport Department, New York City. The records relate to the transportation of fuel, including oil and coal, by ship and barge, and consist of correspondence, reports, and transcripts of speeches.
Records of the Office of General Counsel. The records relate to litigation resulting from the enforcement of wartime conservation and the Certificate of War Necessity program, which regulated gas rationing for buses, taxis, and trucks. The records are memorandums and copies of court papers.
Records of the Division of Storage. The records relate to the storage of materials awaiting export for the war effort and include memorandums and permits.
Records of Temporary Committees, Commissions, and Boards
Records of the Ad Hoc Advisory Group on the Presidential Vote for Puerto Rico
Temporary committees, commissions, boards, and other bodies have been appointed from time to time by the President or created by an act of Congress to serve in factfinding or other advisory capacities or to perform policymaking or coordinating functions with regard to the work of other executive agencies. The Ad Hoc Advisory Group on the Presidential Vote for Puerto Rico was appointed jointly by President Richard Nixon and Governor Luis A. Ferre on April 13, 1970. The group was established pursuant to the recommendations in 1966 of the United States-Puerto Rico Commission on the Status of Puerto Rico to study the feasibility of extending to residents of Puerto Rico the right to vote for the President and Vice President of the United States.
Volume: 4 cubic feet
Records of the Executive Director. The records document the process of establishing the right of eligible residents of Puerto Rico to vote in presidential elections. The records include central files, correspondence, minutes, press clippings, special studies, and transcripts of public hearings.
Folder title list.
Records of the Committee on Fair Employment Practice
The first Committee on Fair Employment Practice was established in the Office of Production Management (OPM) by Executive Order 8802 of June 25, 1941, and then assigned to the War Manpower Commission in 1942. That committee was abolished by Executive Order 9346 of May 27, 1943, which created a new Committee on Fair Employment Practice in the Office for Emergency Management. The new Committee formulated and interpreted policies to combat racial and religious discrimination in employment; received, investigated, and adjusted complaints of such discrimination; and assisted Government agencies, employers, and labor unions with problems of discrimination. The Committee terminated its activities on June 28, 1946.
The first FEPC utilized six field investigators and a few field clerical employees and held public hearings in several major cities across the country. The second FEPC initially established nine regional offices and two suboffices, continuing and expanding the network of the first FEPC's field investigators. Additional offices and suboffices were added later.
Volume: 20 cubic feet
Records of region II (New York State). The records document FEPC efforts against discriminatory hiring practices. Included are case files and correspondence.
Charles Zaid, comp., Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the Committee on Fair Employment Practice, PI 147 (1962).
Record Group 232
Records of the Petroleum Administrative Board
On September 11, 1933, the Secretary of the Interior established the Petroleum Administrative Board to enforce regulations issued under the National Industrial Recovery Act intended to prohibit the transportation in interstate or foreign commerce of petroleum products exceeding amounts permitted by State laws or regulations. The Board assumed most of the functions of the Federal Oil Conservation Board, 1924-1934, and was responsible for the enforcement of the Connally "Hot Oil" Act of February 22, 1935. The Board was terminated March 31, 1936, and replaced by the Petroleum Conservation Division.
Volume: less than 1 cubic foot
Records of the Field Office, Jersey City, and the Oil Enforcement Office, New York City. The records relate to enforcement of the petroleum code regulations and consist of correspondence, minutes, and reports.
Records of the Federal Aviation Administration
The Civil Aeronautics Act of June 23, 1938, established an independent Civil Aeronautics Authority "to promote the development and safety and to provide for the regulation of civil aeronautics." In 1940, the authority was divided into a Civil Aeronautics Board with safety regulatory authority and a Civil Aeronautics Administration to enforce civil air regulations; aid in the development of a national airport system; and plan, construct, and operate the Federal Airways System. Both organizations were part of the Department of Commerce until the establishment in 1958 of the Federal Aviation Agency (FAA) which assumed all of their functions. The FAA became a part of the Department of Transportation by an act of October 15, 1966, and was redesignated the Federal Aviation Administration.
Volume: 20 cubic feet
Records of the eastern regional office. The records relate to airport airspace and the effect of proposed construction, alteration, activation, and deactivation of airports on the use of airspace. They are case files.
Records of the eastern regional office. The records relate to Project Focus, which was initiated to test the feasibility of establishing area offices within FAA regions. Included are management analysis and survey project files.
Box contents list.
Records of the Solid Fuels Administration for War
The Bituminous Coal Conservation Act of 1935 created the first Bituminous Coal Commission. A Commission order of October 9, 1935, established 23 producer districts throughout the country. The first Commission was succeeded by the second Bituminous Coal Commission in 1937, when the 1935 act was modified to take into account constitutional objections to the initial act. Both Commissions were independent Federal agencies. On April 3, 1939, the Commission's functions were transferred to the Department of the Interior, and in July, the Bituminous Coal Division was established within the department. Authorization of the Division lapsed on August 24, 1943, and many of its functions, as well as its district offices, were transferred to the Solid Fuels Administration for War.
The two Bituminous Coal Commissions and the Bituminous Coal Division determined production costs, regulated prices and wages, and regulated marketing procedures for the bituminous coal industry. To this end, they established producer districts, gathered statistics, undertook research, and compiled the Bituminous Coal Code.
On November 5, 1941, a letter from the President to the Secretary of the Interior established the Office of Solid Fuels Coordinator for National Defense within the Department of the Interior. The name of the office was changed to the Office of Solid Fuels Coordinator for War on May 25, 1942. Under both names, the office was essentially a planning and advisory agency. Executive Order 9332 of April 19 transformed the Office into the Solid Fuels Administration for War (SFAW). The SFAW had the legal authority, lacking in its predecessor, to implement an emergency distribution and controls program.
With the lapsing of authorization for the Bituminous Coal Division on August 24, 1943, the SFAW inherited its district office structure, staff, and records, renaming the district offices area distribution offices. As had been the case with the district offices of the Bituminous Coal Commissions and the Bituminous Coal Division, SFAW area offices were responsible for entire States or, for certain counties within one or more States. The SFAW area offices were responsible for regulating the distribution and sale, as well as the production, of all varieties of coal. All field offices were closed on April 30, 1947. The SFAW itself ceased to exist on June 30 of that year under an Executive order of May 6, 1947.
Volume: 66 cubic feet
- Buffalo, New York
- Camden, New Jersey
- Newark, New Jersey
- New York, New York
- Syracuse, New York
Forrest R. Holdcamper, comp., Preliminary Inventory of the Field Records of the Solid Fuels Administration for War: A Supplement to Preliminary Inventory 34, NC 145 (1966).
Records of the Office of the Housing Expediter
A Housing Expediter was appointed in the Office of War Mobilization and Reconversion by the President on December 12, 1945, to plan, coordinate, and expedite postwar housing programs. The Expediter was authorized by an Executive order in January 1946 to plan and coordinate a veterans' housing program. The Office of the Housing Expediter, which had been authorized by an act of Congress of May 22, 1946, was terminated by an Executive order of July 31, 1951, and its functions were transferred to the Economic Stabilization Agency and the Housing and Home Finance Agency.
Volume: 80 cubic feet
Records of Region II (New Jersey, New York), and Region IX (Puerto Rico). The records relate primarily to rent control, including the computation of rent based on accommodations, equipment, and services; termination of rent control; and general administration and public relations. Included are case files, clippings, correspondence, issuances, minutes, narrative and statistical reports, and random rent samples.
Records of the Petroleum Administration for War
An Office of Petroleum Coordinator for National Defense was established in the Department of the Interior on May 28, 1941. It was abolished by Executive Order 9276, of December 2, 1942, which created the Petroleum Administration for War (PAW) under the Secretary of the Interior. The Petroleum Coordinator and the PAW were responsible for wartime conservation, use, marketing, and development of oil and other petroleum products. The PAW was terminated on May 8, 1946, by Executive Order 9718.
Volume: 70 cubic feet
- Distribution and Marketing Division;
- Foreign Division;
- Legal Division;
- Supply and Transportation Division.
Albert Whimpey and James R. Fuchs, comps., Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the Petroleum Administration for War, PI 31 (1951).
General Records of the General Services Administration
The General Services Administration (GSA) was established as an independent agency by the Federal Property and Administrative Services Act of June 30, 1949. The act consolidated and transferred to GSA certain real and personal property and related functions formerly assigned to various agencies. Its purpose is to provide an economical and efficient system for managing Government property and services, including such activities as constructing and operating buildings, procuring and distributing supplies, disposing of surplus property, managing traffic and communications, and stockpiling strategic and critical materials.
Volume: 46 cubic feet
Records of the Region 2 office, New York City. The records relate to the disposal of surplus real property and document the sale or donation of Federal property (such as airfields, forts and other military installations, Post Office buildings and sites, prisoner-of-war camps, and Veterans Administration hospitals) in New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The records are case files which generally include correspondence, deeds, narrative reports, surveys and title searches. Nontextual records include maps and photographs.
List of folder titles.
Records of the War Assets Administration
The War Assets Administration (WAA) was established in the Office for Emergency Management by Executive order on March 25, 1946. The chief WAA function was the disposal of surplus consumer, capital, and producer goods; industrial and maritime real property; and airports and aircraft located in the United States and its territories. The WAA was abolished by an act of June 30, 1949, and its functions were transferred to the newly created General Services Administration.
Volume: 132 cubic feet
Records of Region II, New York City. The records document the disposal of surplus real property in New Jersey, New York, and parts of Pennsylvania. The property includes airports, defense plants, housing projects, and military sites. The case files may contain appraisals, bids, correspondence, deeds, easements, inspection reports, and sales documents. Nontextual records include drawings, maps, and photographs. See RG 21 (land condemnation cases), RG 121, and RG 269 for related records.
Property lists (in paper and electronic format).
Records of the U.S. Courts of Appeals
The courts of appeals are intermediate courts created by an act of March 3, 1891, to relieve the Supreme Court of considering appeals in cases originally decided by Federal courts. They are empowered to review final and certain interlocutory decisions of district courts (see RG 21) except where the law provides for direct review by the Supreme Court. They also review orders of Federal administrative bodies such as the Securities and Exchange Commission and the National Labor Relations Board.
Volume: 5,191 cubic feet
Records of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, New York City. The records document appeals of lower Federal court decisions in Connecticut, New York, and Vermont. Among the prominent individuals whose cases were heard are Frank Costello, Marcus Garvey, Alger Hiss, James Joyce, Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, and Orville and Wilbur Wright. The records are case files and include bills of cost, opinions, stipulations, Supreme Court orders on petitions for writs of certiorari, and transcripts of record from lower courts and administrative agencies. Also included are dockets and minutes.
Records of the Wage and Salary Stabilization Boards of the Economic Stabilization Agency
The Wage Stabilization Board was established by Executive Order 10161 of September 9, 1950, to control wages and salaries during the Korean War. In May 1951, a Salary Stabilization Board was created with authority over administrative, executive, and professional salaries. Wage controls were suspended February 6, 1953, and the boards were terminated April 30, 1953.
Volume: 5 cubic feet
Records of region 2 (New York State and northern and central New Jersey). The records relate to regional board approval, modification, or denial of petitions for wage or salary adjustments, and include decisions, minutes, press releases, and rulings.