The Center for Legislative Archives

Guide to the Records of the U.S. House of Representatives at the National Archives, 1789-1989 (Record Group 233)



Chapter 17. Records of the Public Works Committees



Table of Contents

Records of the Committees Relating to Public Works (1815-1988) from Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives of the United States, 1789-1988


Committee records described in this chapter.
Introduction

17.1 The Legislative Reorganization Act of 1946 established the Public Works Committee by combining the jurisdiction of four standing committees-- Public Buildings and Grounds, Rivers and Harbors, Roads, and Flood Control. The Committee underwent two further name changes since its creation: Public Works and Transportation in 1974 and Transportation and Infrastructure in 1995. This chapter describes the records of these committees, as well as those of four related committees established in the 19th century, but terminated prior to World War II: Roads and Canals (1831-1869), Railways and Canals (1869-1927), Mississippi Levees (1875-77), and Levees and Improvements of the Mississippi River (1877-1911).


Bibliographic note: Web version based on Guide to the Records of the United States House of Representatives at the National Archives, 1789-1989: Bicentennial Edition (Doct. No. 100-245). By Charles E. Schamel, Mary Rephlo, Rodney Ross, David Kepley, Robert W. Coren, and James Gregory Bradsher. Washington, DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1989.

The Center for Legislative Archives >

The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration
1-86-NARA-NARA or 1-866-272-6272

.