Guide to the Records of the U.S. House of Representatives at the National Archives, 1789-1989 (Record Group 233)
Chapter 12. Records of the Administration Committee and Its Predecessors
Records of the House Administration Committee and Its Predecessors from Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives of the United States, 1789-1988
Committees discussed in this chapter:
- Committee on Elections (1789-1895)
- Committee on Elections # 1 (1895-1946)
- Committee on Elections # 2 (1895-1946)
- Committee on Elections # 3 (1895-1946)
- Committee on the Election of the President, Vice President, and Representatives in Congress (1893-1946)
- Committee on Enrolled Bills (1876-1946)
- Committee on the Library (1806-1946)
- Committee on Accounts (1803-1946)
- Committee on Mileage (1837-1927)
- Committ ee on Ventilation and Acoustics (1893-1911)
- Committee on Memorials (1929-1946)
- Committee on the Disposition of Executive Papers (1889-1946)
- Committee on Engraving (1844-60)
- Committee on Printing (1846-1946)
- Committee on House Administration (1947-68)
Records of the Committee on Mileage (1837-1927) History and Jurisdiction
12.36 The jurisdiction of the Committee on Mileage is described in Rule XI: "The ascertaining of the travel of Members of the House shall be made by the Committee on Mileage and reported to the Sergeant at Arms." The committee was an outgrowth of the Committee on Accounts which originally was charged with the audit of Members' mileage. In 1927 the Committee on Mileage was discontinued and these duties were returned to the Accounts Committee.
12.37 In addition to determining the travel expenses of Members, the committee reported on bills, resolutions, and petitions and memorials related to this subject.
Records of the Committee on Mileage, 25th-69th Congresses (1837-1927)
|Record Type||Volume||Congresses (Dates)|
|Petitions and Memorials||1 inch||26th (1839-41), 28TH (1843-45), 30th (1847-49) 34th (1855-57), 42d-43d (1871-75), 61st (1909-11, 67th (1921-23)|
|Committee Papers||1 inch||30th (1847-49, 34th (1855-57)|
|Committee Records Summary Table|
12.38 The records of the committee include petitions from groups of citizens praying that the per diem and travel expenses of Members be reduced, and resolutions to devise better methods of calculating mileage.
12.39 Other records of the committee, volumes titled "Pay & Mileage of Representatives" (14 ft.) from the 13th Congress to the 50th Congress (1813-1889) are preserved in the records of Treasury Department, RG 217. They may have been transferred to the Office of the First Auditor for review.
Bibliographic note: Web version based on Guide to the Records of the United States House of Representatives at the National Archives, 1789-1989: Bicentennial Edition (Doct. No. 100-245). By Charles E. Schamel, Mary Rephlo, Rodney Ross, David Kepley, Robert W. Coren, and James Gregory Bradsher. Washington, DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1989.