Resources in the Office of General Counsel Ethics Library
The Office of General Counsel has a collection of ethics program materials available to National Archives staff upon request. Our holdings include the following:
- Ethics CD-ROM: a multimedia searchable collection of Federal executive branch ethics laws, Executive orders, regulations, advisory opinions, policy memoranda, Federal Register notices, and ethics program administration aids.
- National Archives 1996 Annual Ethics Training Video: a 45-minute training video which
features an overview of the Standards of Conduct; a brief history of Federal ethics laws; outside
employment regulations; misuse of government property; and the Hatch Act. Also includes a
15-minute segment on how to fill out a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE Form 450).
- Ethics Inquiry: a 45 minute overview of standard of conduct issues in a
broadcast-quality news magazine format. Covers gifts from outside sources, gifts between
employees, conflicting financial interests and impartiality issues. This from the Office of Government Ethics.
- The Battle for Avery Mann: a 20-minute video about a Federal employee struggling
with ethical conduct issues. Covers misuse of property, gifts between employees, outside
employment. 1997 OGE production.
- Integrity in Public Service: Earning the Public's Trust, a 20-minute video which uses
vignettes to outline the ethics regulations governing employee conduct.
- The Ethical Choice: Ethics for Special Government Employees, a 20-minute video
about the ethical obstacles three fictional SGEs must overcome. Covers many of the rules
applicable to all executive branch employees.
- Public Financial Disclosure: A Closer Look, a 15-minute video which explores the need for high level executive branch officials to file accurate, complete public financial disclosure reports (SF-278).
- Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Executive Branch: established
by E.O. 12674, applies to all government employees. The title says it all. Each employee should
have his/her own copy or access to a copy in the workplace.
- Take the High Road: an OGE publication which summarizes ethics laws and regulations in easy to read language using a question/answer format.
- A Brief Wrap on Ethics: another OGE publication which summarizes ethics laws and regulations. This one uses anecdotes in looking at various ethics issues.
- Gifts Between Employees: Presents answers to frequently asked gifts questions
and provides useful definitions.
- Gifts From Outside Sources: Presents parameters of permissibility for the acceptance of gifts from outside sources
- Conflicts of Interest and Government Employment: looks at basic conflict of interest laws and regulations.
- Gifts of Travel and Other Benefits: provides guidelines for analyzing when
employees may accept gifts of travel in connection with official duties.
- Rules for the Road: highlights key rules related to post-employment restrictions for certain Federal employees.