NARA Privacy Act Systems: NARA 4
SYSTEM NAME: Committee and Foundation Member Files
SYSTEM LOCATION: Donors of historical materials files are maintained in the following locations:
(1) Strategy and Communications Office;
(2) Individual Presidential libraries;
(3) Center for Legislative Archives;
(4) Office of Research Services;
(5) Office of Agency Services; and;
(6) Committee member files may be maintained in NARA organizational units that provide administrative support to, or oversight of, internal and inter-agency committees, external standards-setting and professional organizations, and NARA's Federal advisory committees.
CATEGORIES OF INDIVIDUALS COVERED BY THE SYSTEM: Individuals covered by this system include NARA employees who serve on committees and current and prospective members of NARA's Federal advisory committees, the National Archives Foundation, and foundations associated with the Presidential libraries.
CATEGORIES OF RECORDS IN THE SYSTEM: Committee and foundation member files may include: Correspondence; resumes; biographical statements; mailing lists; and travel documents. These files may contain the following information about an individual: Name; address; telephone number; NARA correspondence symbol; educational background; employment history; list of professional accomplishments and awards, titles of publications; and other information furnished by the individual.
AUTHORITY FOR MAINTENANCE OF THE SYSTEM: 44 U.S.C. 2104.
ROUTINE USES OF RECORDS MAINTAINED IN THE SYSTEM, INCLUDING CATEGORIES OF USERS AND THE PURPOSES OF SUCH USES: NARA maintains committee member files to: review professional qualifications of prospective committee members; document committee members' travel activities related to committee business; record the participation of committee members in committee activities; and contact members about future meetings and events. NARA maintains foundation member files in order to contact members about meetings, conferences and special events. The routine use statements A, F, and G, described in Appendix A following the NARA Notices, also apply to this system of records.
POLICIES AND PRACTICES FOR STORING, RETRIEVING, ACCESSING, RETAINING, AND DISPOSING OF RECORDS IN THE SYSTEM:
STORAGE: Paper and electronic records.
RETRIEVABILITY: Information in committee and foundation member files may be retrieved by the individual's name or by the committee or foundation's name.
SAFEGUARDS: During business hours, paper records are maintained in areas accessible to authorized NARA personnel. Electronic records are accessible via password-protected workstations located in attended offices or through a secure remote access network. After business hours, buildings have security guards and/or secured doors, and all entrances are monitored by electronic surveillance equipment.
RETENTION AND DISPOSAL: Some committee member files are permanent records and are transferred to the National Archives of the United States in accordance with the disposition instructions in the NARA Records Schedule (a supplement to the NARA Files Maintenance and Records Disposition Manual). Other committee and foundation member files have temporary dispositions and are destroyed in accordance with the instructions in the NARA Records Schedule. Individuals may request a copy of the disposition instructions from the NARA Privacy Act Officer.
SYSTEM MANAGER(S) AND ADDRESS: The system managers for committee and foundation member files are:
- For Advisory Committee on Presidential Library-Foundation Partnerships member files: Director of the Office of Presidential Libraries;
- For Advisory Committee on the Records of Congress member files: Director of the Center for Legislative Archives;
- For Founding Fathers Advisory Committee member files: Executive Director of National Historic Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC);
- For National Industrial Security Program Policy Advisory Committee member files and State, Local, Tribal, and Private Sector Policy Advisory Committee member files: Executive for Agency Services;
- For Foundation for the National Archives member files and for other committee member files: Chief Strategy and Communications Officer; and
- For working group member files: Executive for Research Services.
The business addresses for these system managers are listed in Appendix B.
NOTIFICATION PROCEDURE: People interested in inquiring about their records should notify the NARA Privacy Act Officer at the address listed in Appendix B.
RECORD ACCESS PROCEDURES: People who wish to access their records should submit a request in writing to the NARA Privacy Act Officer at the address listed in Appendix B.
CONTESTING RECORD PROCEDURES: NARA rules for contesting the contents of a person's records and appealing initial determinations are found in 36 CFR part 1202.
RECORD SOURCE CATEGORIES: Information in committee, working group, and foundation member files is obtained from NARA employees, current and prospective members of Federal advisory committees, working groups, foundations, and references furnished by such people.