Executive Order 10903--Delegating authority of the President with respect to regulations relating to certain allowances and benefits to Government personnel on overseas duty
Source: The provisions of Executive Order 10903 of Jan. 9, 1961, appear at 26 FR 217, 3 CFR, 1959-1963 Comp., p. 433, unless otherwise noted.
Cross reference: Executive Order 11137 of Jan. 7, 1964, Chapter 32, modifies Executive Order 10903.
By virtue of the authority vested in me by section 301 of title 3 of the United States Code, and various provisions of law cited in the body of this order, and as President of the United States, it is hereby ordered as follows:
[Preamble amended by EO 12292 of Feb. 23, 1981, 46 FR 13967, 3 CFR, 1981 Comp., p. 134]
Section 1. The Secretary of State is hereby designated and empowered to perform the following-described functions without the approval, ratification, or other action of the President:
(a) The authority vested in the President by section 5921(3) of title 5, United States Code, to prescribe regulations defining the term "employee".
(b) The authority vested in the President by subchapter III of chapter 59 of title 5 of the United States Code, to prescribe regulations, including the regulations referred to in sections 5922(b), 5922(c), and 5924(4)(B) of that title (governing, respectively, (1) certain waivers of recovery, (2) the payment of allowances and differentials authorized by said subchapter and certain other matters, and (3) travel expenses for dependents of certain employees).
(c) The authority vested in the President by section 5913 of title 5 of the United States Code, (1) to prescribe regulations governing the allotment to posts in foreign countries, for the purpose stated in that section, of funds available to the departments for administrative expenses, and (2) to designate senior officials of this Government in foreign countries.
(d) The authority vested in the President by other provisions of law (including section 235(2) of title 38 of the United States Code) to prescribe regulations governing representation allowances similar to those authorized by section 905 of the Foreign Service Act of 1980 (22 U.S.C. 4085).
(e) The authority vested in the President by section 5912 of title 5 of the United States Code to approve regulations prescribed by heads of agencies (under which employees who are citizens of the United States permanently stationed in foreign countries may be furnished, without cost to them, living quarters, including heat, fuel, and light, in government-owned or rented buildings).
[Sec. 1 amended by EO 12292 of Feb. 23, 1981, 46 FR 13967, 3 CFR, 1981 Comp., p. 134]
Sec. 2. [Superseded]
[Sec. 2 superseded by EO 11230 of June 28, 1965, 30 FR 8447, 3 CFR, 1964-1965 Comp., p. 320, and EO 11228 of June 14, 1965, 30 FR 7739, 3 CFR, 1964-1965 Comp., p. 317.]
Sec. 3. [Deleted]
[Sec. 3 amends Executive Order 10624 of July 28, 1955, Chapter 5. The amendment has been incorporated into that order.]
Sec. 4. (a) [Deleted]
(b) The reference in section 1 of Executive Order No. 10853 of November 27, 1959, to the regulations contained in Executive Order No. 10000 of September 16, 1948, shall be deemed to include a reference to the corresponding regulations prescribed in pursuance to the provisions of this order.
[Sec. 4(a) amended EO 10853 of Nov. 27, 1959, which was revoked by EO 12228 of July 24, 1980]
- Sec. 5. (a) The following-described Executive order and parts thereof are hereby revoked, subject to the provisions of section 5(b) of this order:
- 1. Parts I, III, IV, and V of Executive Order No. 10000 of September 16, 1948.
- 2. Executive Order No. 10011 of October 22, 1948.
- 3. Executive Order No. 10085 of October 28, 1949.
- 4. Executive Order No. 10100 of January 28, 1950.
- 5. Executive Order No. 10187 of December 4, 1950.
- 6. Executive Order No. 10261 of June 27, 1951.
- 7. Executive Order No. 10313 of December 14, 1951.
- 8. Executive Order No. 10391 of September 3, 1952.
- 9. Executive Order No. 10503 of December 1, 1953.
- 10. Executive Order No. 10623 of July 23, 1955.
- 11. Section 1 and, to the extent that it pertains to Executive Order No. 10000, section 3 of Executive Order No. 10636 of September 16, 1955.
- 2. Executive Order No. 10011 of October 22, 1948.
- (b) Existing rules and regulations prescribed in or pursuant to the Executive order provisions revoked by section 5(a) of this order, other existing rules and regulations pertaining to allowances, differentials, and other benefits corresponding to those authorized by the provisions of law referred to in this order, and actions heretofore taken in pursuance of any thereof, shall remain in effect until hereafter superseded in pursuance of the provisions of this order.
Sec. 6. This order, and such of the regulations prescribed by the Secretary of State, the Director of the Office of Management and Budget, and the Office of Personnel Management thereunder as the Secretary, Director, and Office shall, respectively, determine, shall be published in the Federal Register.
[Sec. 6 amended by EO 12107 of Dec. 28, 1978, 44 FR 1055, 3 CFR, 1978 Comp., p. 264; EO 12608 of Sept. 9, 1987, 52 FR 34617, 3 CFR, 1987 Comp., p. 245]