Ways to Comment
- Send comments via regulations.gov or by fax, postal mail, hand delivery or courier (consult the "Addresses" section of the relevant proposed rule).
Comment on Draft Policy
We welcome your comments. Comments that you send us help inform our decisions and policies concerning our service to you. Once we receive your comments, we will consider them carefully. Public comments become a permanent part of the case file, and may be available for public review.
If you have a suggestion, compliment, or complaint about any of our services and products (other than draft policy), please send us a message using our online form.
Currently Open for Public Comment:
NARA creates regulations or "rules" that state how we fulfill our agency's mission, meet statutory requirements, and conduct business with other agencies and the general public. We publish our regulations in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) under 36 CFR Chapter XII, and they are organized into subchapters based on topics like agency functions, oversight responsibilities, or how people access the records we hold.
There are no regulations currently awaiting comments.
Records Schedule Notices
Record schedules authorize the preservation of records of continuing value in the National Archives of the United States and the destruction, after a specified period, of records lacking administrative, legal, research, or other value. Agencies must follow a records schedule's mandatory instructions on what to do with the records once they are no longer needed for current Government business and the Archivist of the United States approves the schedule.
NARA publishes notices in the Federal Register to allow public comment on proposed records schedules before the Archivist gives his approval.
- [NARA-2015-026] Notice published February 12, 2015 (Volume 80, Number 029 - pages 7881-7882). Request for copies due no later than March 16, 2015.
Notices on proposed information collections (e.g., forms and surveys completed by nonfederal entities and individuals) describe the collection, how we will use the information, and our estimate of the reporting burden to respondents.
- [NARA-2015-024] Title: Use of NARA Official Seals and Logos; published February 4, 2015 (Volume 80, Number 023 - pages 6138-6139). Comments due no later than March 6, 2015.
- [NARA-2015-025] Title: Selective Service System Record Request; published February 4, 2015 (Volume 80, Number 023 - page 6139). Comments due no later than April 6, 2015.
- [NARA-2015-029] Title: ; published February 18, 2015 (Volume 80, Number 032 - pages 8700-8701). Comments due no later than April 20, 2015.
Other Requests for Public Comment:
Presidential Records Act notice of proposed disposal of Reagan and George H.W. Bush administration disaster recovery backup tapes; request for public comment
[NARA-2015-021] Notice published February 6, 2015 (Volume 80, Number 025 - pages 6770-6771). Comments must be received no later than March 23, 2015.