Ways to Comment
- Send comments via regulations.gov or by fax, postal mail, hand delivery or courier (consult the "Addresses" section of the relevant proposed rule).
Comment on Draft Policy
We welcome your comments. Comments that you send us help inform our decisions and policies concerning our service to you. Once we receive your comments, we will consider them carefully. Public comments become a permanent part of the case file, and may be available for public review.
If you have a suggestion, compliment, or complaint about any of our services and products (other than draft policy), please send us a message using our online form.
Currently Open for Public Comment:
NARA creates regulations or "rules" that state how we fulfill our agency's mission, meet statutory requirements, and conduct business with other agencies and the general public. We publish our regulations in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) under 36 CFR Chapter XII, and they are organized into subchapters based on topics like agency functions, oversight responsibilities, or how people access the records we hold.
There are no regulations currently awaiting comments.
Records Schedule Notices
Record schedules authorize the preservation of records of continuing value in the National Archives of the United States and the destruction, after a specified period, of records lacking administrative, legal, research, or other value. Agencies must follow a records schedule's mandatory instructions on what to do with the records once they are no longer needed for current Government business and the Archivist of the United States approves the schedule.
NARA publishes notices in the Federal Register to allow public comment on proposed records schedules before the Archivist gives his approval.
- [NARA-2015-012] Notice published November 19, 2014 (Volume 79, Number 223 - pages 68914-68916). Request for copies due no later than December 19, 2014.
Notices on proposed information collections (e.g., forms and surveys completed by nonfederal entities and individuals) describe the collection, how we will use the information, and our estimate of the reporting burden to respondents.
- [NARA-2015-006] Title: Request Pertaining to Military Records; published October 28, 2014 (Volume 79, Number 208 - page 64219). Comments due no later than December 29, 2014.
- [NARA-2015-010] Title: Use of NARA Official Seals and/or Logos; published November 14, 2014 (Volume 79, Number 220 - page 68305). Comments due no later than January 13, 2015.
- [NARA-2015-013] Title: Researcher Application; published November 24, 2014 (Volume 79, Number 226 - pages 69882-69883). Comments due no later than December 24, 2014.
Other Requests for Public Comment:
There are no other requests currently awaiting comments.