Volunteering in College Park, MD
There are two types of volunteer positions available at the National Archives in College Park, MD:
Staff Aides work behind the scenes under the supervision of archivists. They assist with a wide variety of tasks, including holdings maintenance: document boxing and labeling; researching photographs, posters, moving images, and textual records; writing descriptions; computer database work; indexing; digitizing; preparing descriptive lists; and other s pecialized tasks.
- All volunteer positions are available only during the normal work week, usually between 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Volunteers work with historically valuable records of the Federal Government.
- Some staff aides work in groups, while others work on individual projects.
- Volunteers generally work seated at tables or computer stations.
Docents give two types of tours:
- Behind-the-scenes tours of the research facility and building to visitors. These are offered between 10:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. on weekdays.
- Tours of the building specifically designed for new hires are given bimonthly on Mondays.
See How to Download and Complete the Volunteer Application Form
If you require an accessible version of the Volunteer Application form, please contact the Volunteer Program Coordinator at (301) 837-3002
Technical problems completing the pdf form? Be sure to download and install the latest version of Adobe Reader!
Volunteer Program Coordinator
The National Archives at College Park
8610 Adelphi Road
College Park, MD 20740-6001
Phone: (301) 837-3002
Fax: (301) 837-3603