Guide to Archival Holdings at the National Archives Southeast Region (Atlanta)
- Alphabetical List of Record Groups
- Numerical List of Record Groups
- Subject Access (A through L)
- Subject Access (M through Z)
- Record Groups 4 through 49
- Record Groups 53 through 96
- Record Groups 103 through 163
- Record Groups 165 through 295
- Record Groups 310 through 527
Record Group 53
Records of the Bureau of the Public Debt
The Bureau of the Public Debt was established in the Department of the Treasury, as a successor to a long line of loan-and-debt-related organizations extending back to State Loan Offices of the Second Continental Congress and the Second Bank of the United States.
During World War I the Secretary of the Treasury directed five campaigns for selling Liberty Bonds. Advertising, sale, and distribution of bonds was the responsibility of the War Loan Organization from April 1917 to August 1919. A separate National War Savings Committee was established by the Secretary in November 1917, to sell war savings certificates until October 1918. It was superseded by the Savings Division of the War Loan Organization, which became part of the Public Debt Service until it was terminated November 15, 1924.
Date: 1917 Volume: 4 cubic feet
Records of the 6th Federal Reserve District. The records relate to promoting the Second Liberty Loan and include scrapbooks from throughout the District containing advertisements, cartoons, correspondence, form letters, newspaper clippings, and posters
Record Group 54
Records of the Bureau of Plant Industry, Soils, and Agricultural Engineering
The Bureau of Plant Industry, Soils, and Agricultural Engineering was established on February 13, 1943, in the Agricultural Research Administration of the Department of Agriculture. Government procurement, propagation, and distribution of seeds and plants began in the agricultural section established in the Patent Office in 1839. These activities were transferred to the Department of Agriculture's Division of Gardens and Ground in 1862 and to the Division of Seeds in 1868. As plant work became more specialized, Divisions of Botany, Pomology, Vegetable Physiology, Pathology, and Agrostology were established in the Department from 1869 to 1895. To coordinate and develop plant investigations conducted by these divisions, the Bureau of Plant Industry was established in 1901. In 1938, soil investigations were transferred to the Bureau. These investigations had originated in the Division of Soils, established in 1894, and had expanded in the Bureau of Soils, and the Bureau of Chemistry and Soils, established in 1901 and 1927, respectively. In 1943, engineering research was transferred from the Bureau of Agricultural Chemistry and Engineering to the newly designated Bureau of Plant Industry, Soils, and Agricultural Engineering. The Bureau was abolished by the Secretary of Agriculture on November 2, 1953, and its functions transferred to the Agricultural Research Service.
Dates: 1913-1929 Volume: 6 cubic feet
Records of the Sugar-Plant Field Experiment Station, Cairo, Georgia. The records relate to experiments investigating factors affecting the production and improvement of sugar-producing plants, including the control of diseases, breeding and importation of varieties, methods of sugar-plant culture, equipment for better handling and utilization of the raw material and by-products, and the proper relationship between sugar crops and other farm activities. The records are primarily correspondence and reports.
Entry 148 in Harold T. Pinkett, comp., Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the Bureau of Plant Industry, Soils, and Agricultural Engineering, PI 66 (1954).
Record Group 58
Records of the Internal Revenue Service
The Office of the Commissioner of Internal Revenue was established in the Department of the Treasury by an act of July 1, 1862, to help finance the Civil War. Within the Office the agency that collected funds was known as the Bureau of Internal Revenue until 1953 when it was designated the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The taxes levied during the Civil War were gradually abolished until only taxes on liquor and tobacco remained in 1883. In addition to the taxes on these commodities, the Bureau began collecting a corporation income tax after 1909. With the adoption of the 16th amendment in 1913, the collection of income taxes became one of the Bureau's principal functions. It is now responsible for the administration, assessment, and collection of all internal revenue taxes.
Dates: 1866-1917 Volume: 118 cubic feet
- Alabama, 1867-1873, and 1910-1917;
- Florida, 1867-1873 and 1917-1918;
- Georgia, 1866-1873 and 1913-1917;
- Kentucky, 1865-1873;
- Mississippi, 1867-1873 and 1915-1917;
- North Carolina, 1867-1873 and 1914-1917;
- South Carolina, 1865-1873 and 1910-1917;
- Tennessee, 1867-1873 and 1910-1917.
The records contain the name of taxpayer (individuals and corporations), city of residence, article or occupation taxed (taxes were levied on real estate, manufacturing equipment such as cotton gins, and luxuries such as liquor and tobacco), and amount assessed and collected. The records are assessment lists.
Records of IRS collectors in special taxes for Mississippi, May 1887-April 1890. The records document special taxes levied and include the name of taxpayer (individuals and corporation), city of residence, county, tax-stamp serial number, and value assessed and collected. The records are assessment lists.
List of tax volumes.
Related Microfilm Publications
M754, Internal Revenue Assessment Lists for Alabama, 1865-1866.;
M761, Internal Revenue Assessment Lists for Florida, 1865-1866;
M762, Internal Revenue Assessment Lists for Georgia, 1865-1866;
M786, Internal Revenue Assessment Lists for Kentucky, 1862-1866;
M775, Internal Revenue Assessment Lists for Mississippi, 1865-1866;
M784, Internal Revenue Assessment Lists for North Carolina, 1864-1866;
M789, Internal Revenue Assessment Lists for South Carolina, 1864-1866;
T227, Civil War Direct Tax Assessment Lists for Tennessee.
Record Group 60
General Records of the Department of Justice
Established effective July 1, 1870, by an act of June 22, 1870 (16 Stat. 162), as a result of growth in the Office of the Attorney General, which has been present as a cabinet-level office since 1789, the Department of Justice enforces Federal laws and investigates violations. It provides legal advice to the President and to heads of Executive agencies, represents the Federal Government in court, and conducts programs of law enforcement, crime prevention, and offender rehabilitation programs. The department also administers immigration and naturalization laws, registers aliens, and supervises U.S. attorneys and marshals.
As part of the Department of Justice, the Lands Division (more recently titled the Land and Natural Resources Division or the Environment and Natural Resources Division) handled most legal matters pertaining to the public domain, condemnation of lands, titles to parks, forest reserves, reclamation and irrigation projects, conservation of natural resources, and Indian lands and property. In the 1930's and 1940's the Land Division operated a Field Office in Birmingham, Alabama.
Dates: 1935-1940 Volume: 34 cubic feet
Records of the Land Division's Birmingham field office, Alabama. The records concern operation of the field office and land acquisition for Federal agencies (especially the Department of Agriculture and the War Department). They document general procedures, settlements with land owners, land condemnations, tax payment arrangements, distribution of proceeds from sales, and the issuance of checks. Included are correspondence, administrative, personnel, and staff attorneys files, an index to cases, and reports.
Entries 265 through 281, draft inventory.
Record Group 70
Records of the U.S. Bureau of Mines
The Bureau of Mines was established in the Department of the Interior by an act of May 16, 1910. In 1925, the Division of Mineral resources of the Geological Survey and the Coal Division of the Bureau of Foreign and Domestic Commerce were transferred to the Bureau of Mines, which became part of the Department of Commerce. The Bureau was returned to the Department of the Interior in 1934. Its functions include the inspection of mines, smelters and mills; testing fuels for Government use; issuing licenses that control production and use of nonmilitary explosives; collecting information regarding production and consumption of mineral resources, and employment and accidents in mines; conducting research on mining methods, production of minerals, and improvement of mining conditions; and operating experimental plants.
Dates: 1902-1970 Volume: 175 cubic feet
Records of the Southern Experiment Station, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, 1932-1955. The records concern research experiments and administrative operations. Records are correspondence and technical manuscripts.
Records of the Old Mining Division, Tuscaloosa, 1932-1955. The records relate to the search for and development of mineral resources to be used during World War II, including the Army Quarry Project, and the work of metallurgist Ellis Hertzog. The Army Quarry Project was a research investigation conducted jointly by the Demolitions Branch of the Army Engineers and the Bureau of Mines. The purpose was to prepare a manual to guide front line troops in locating, developing, and operating rock quarries for the building of military roads. Ellis Hertzog was an employee who did research on the grindability of coal, activated carbon for water purification, the removal of phosphorus from Alabama iron ores, and other similar metallurgical research. The records are contracts, correspondence, engineers' field notes and files, project proposals, and project files. Nontextual records include maps.
Records of Region VII Minerals Technology Division, Tuscaloosa, 1943-1968. The records document research into metallurgical and ceramic processes, preparation methods, uses of minerals, and administrative matters. The records are correspondence, reports, and basic research data.
Records of Region VII Mining Division, Tuscaloosa, 1949-1956. The records concern exploration and development of mineral resources in the Southeast and operation of the division. Included are cooperative agreements, correspondence, and reports.
Records of Region VII Fuels Technology Division, Tuscaloosa, 1949-1970. The records document research concerning new processes, more efficient utilization of fuels (especially coal), and administrative matters. Included are published, unpublished and monthly reports, and technical data.
Records of Region VII Office of Mineral Industries, Knoxville, 1952-1966. The records document mining by private firms of asbestos, bauxite, coal, copper, feldspar, garnet, iron, limestone, mica, phosphate, sandstone, and tungsten and production from steel mills. Included are production and other reports, production tabulation sheets, questionnaires, and surveys.
Records of Region VII Office of Mineral Resources, Knoxville, 1950-1962. Records document exploration and development of mineral resources in the Southeast and elsewhere, including coal, oil, and natural gas in several southeastern states and at offshore sites, zinc in Virginia, iron ore in Alabama, mica in New England, and uranium in shale deposits in Chattanooga. The records include correspondence, drill-hole logs, production reports, and project files. Nontextual records include property ownership maps.
Draft preliminary inventory.
Record Group 71
Records of the Bureau of Yards and Docks
The Bureau of Yards and Docks in 1862 replaced the Bureau of Naval Yards and Docks, established in the Department of the Navy by an act of August 31, 1842. Bureau functions included the design, construction, and maintenance of all naval public works and utilities, such as dry docks, marine railways, shipbuilding ways, harbor structures, storage facilities, power plants, heating and lighting systems, and buildings at shore establishments. The Bureau also operated power plants, maintained public works and utilities at shore establishments, and obtained real estate for Navy use. At advanced bases and in combat areas Bureau work was performed by construction battalions (Seabees). A Department of Defense reorganization order of March 9, 1966, abolished the Bureau, and the Secretary of the Navy transferred most of its functions to the Naval Facilities Engineering Command.
Dates: 1836-1918 Volume: 3 cubic feet
- Memphis Navy Yard, 1848-1855;
- Pensacola Air Station, 1916-1918;
- Pensacola Navy Yard, 1836, 1902-1903.
Entry 91 in Camilla P. Luecke and Richard G. Wood, comps., Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the Bureau of Yards and Docks, PI 10 (1948).
Record Group 74
Records of the Bureau of Ordnance
The Bureau of Ordnance and Hydrography was established in the Department of the Navy in 1842. The name was changed to Bureau of Ordnance in 1862 when hydrography duties were transferred to the Bureau of Navigation. It was responsible for the design, manufacture, procurement, maintenance, and issuance of armament. The Bureau also provided for operation, upkeep, and repair of naval gun factories, ordnance plants, torpedo stations, proving grounds, and similar facilities. The Bureau was abolished in 1959 and its functions transferred to the Bureau of Naval Weapons.
Dates: 1915-1965 Volume: 1440 cubic feet
Records of the Naval Ordnance Plant, Louisville. The records document the planning, development, and final design stages of various naval ordnance. These nontextual records are original drawings.
William F. Shonkwiler, comp., Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the Bureau of Ordnance, PI 33 (1951).
Record Group 75
Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs
An Office of Indian Affairs was established in 1824 within the War Department, which had exercised jurisdiction over relations with Indian tribes since the formation of the Federal Government. The Office operated informally within the War Department until Congress authorized the appointment of a Commissioner of Indian Affairs in 1832. The Office was transferred to the Department of the Interior in 1849. Although commonly called the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), it was not officially designated that until 1947.
The Bureau is responsible for most of the Federal Government's relations with the tribes of Indians that it recognizes. Some groups of Indians, particularly in the Eastern States, have never received official recognition, and other groups ceased to function as cohesive tribes before the establishment of the Federal Government in 1789. The Bureau has only exercised responsibility for Indians living on a recognized reservation or who maintained an affiliation with a recognized tribe. Many persons of Indian descent are not mentioned in any of the Bureau's records because they severed all connection with any tribe.
The Bureau's programs have had an impact on virtually every phase of tribal development and individual Indian life including education, health, land ownership, financial affairs, employment, and legal rights. In 1931, the Bureau assumed jurisdiction over the Indians and Eskimos of Alaska from the Alaska Division of the Office of Education, which had been established in 1885 to administer education and health programs for the natives of Alaska. In 1955, most of the Bureau's health activities, including the operation of Indian Hospitals, were transferred to the Public Health Service.
When it was created in 1824, the Bureau inherited a well-established system of agencies, each of which was responsible for all relations with one or more tribes. Many of these agencies were subordinate to a superintendency which had general responsibility for Indian affairs in a territory or other geographical area.
Although there were numerous changes in agency designations and jurisdictions, this basic organizational structure remained unchanged until superintendencies were abolished in the 1870's and all agents began reporting directly to the Bureau headquarters in Washington, DC. In 1947, area offices were established to exercise supervisory control over agencies and other administrative units (such as schools or irrigation districts) within specific geographic regions.
In addition to the agents who were responsible for the day-to-day implementation of Indian policy, the Bureau often sent officials into the field for special purposes. These included treaty commissioners, inspectors, purchasing and disbursing agents, enrolling and allotting agents, and education specialists. Many of the schools that operated on Indian reservations were under the control of a superintendent who was often independent of the agent and sometimes exercised the functions of an agent. There were also a number of non-reservation schools, such as the Chilocco Indian School in Oklahoma, which accepted students from all over the country and were not under the control of any local agent.
Dates: 1886-1952 Volume: 194 cubic feet
- Cherokee Agency, Cherokee, North Carolina, 1886-1952. The records include general correspondence of the superintendent and of the Education Branch, 1889-1925; the superintendents' letterbooks, 1892-1914; agency censuses, 1898-1920; annuity payment records, 1886-1948; agency circulars and orders; census books, 1897-1902; tribal financial records, 1920-1952; Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) project files, 1933-1952; school program files, 1889-1952; and school reports, 1902-1952.
- Seminole Agency, Dania, Florida, 1892-1952. The records include the superintendents' correspondence, 1936-1952; Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) project files, 1934-1943; cashbook, 1892-1899; and general information on agency activities and operations, 1941-1948.
The records document Indians' financial affairs such as annuity payments and disbursements of other funds to tribal members as a result of treaties or congressional legislation. They contain the Indian's name and the amount of money or type of goods received. With tribal censuses and other enrollment records, they document genealogy and tribal demographics. Included are cash reports, ledgers of receipts and disbursements, property returns, and vouchers.
The records document the financial affairs of restricted Indians, considered incompetent because of their age, degree of Indian blood, or other factors. They concern the collection and disbursement of funds; requests by Indians for money to buy automobiles, clothing, farming equipment, furniture, groceries, livestock, pianos, and many other items; and the determination of heirs and distribution of the estates. Included are probate files, application forms, and related correspondence.
The records document land allotment to individual tribal members, names of eligible tribe members, contested allotments, the dispersal of the tribal domain, protests against the allotment process, sale or leasing of land, and use of tribal resources. Included are lists of eligible members, applications for specific tracts of land, plat maps, hearings, and letters (many in the native language) from Indians to their agents.
Records document the operation of schools on reservations that Indians attended; school enrollments; and planning and implementation of educational programs. Included are correspondence, narrative and statistical reports, and individual student files that contain applications for admission, correspondence, and grades.
The records document the impact of changing social and economic conditions as reflected in activities of the Civilian Conservation Corps-Indian Division and other emergency relief programs conducted in the 1930's; agricultural extension projects; health care programs; construction of homes and roads; home demonstration programs; housing; income; irrigation and land management activities; liquor control, suppression of peyote, and other law enforcement activities on reservations; living conditions; and recreation. Included are project files and reports.
The records document tribal governments and provide insight into tribal politics and Indian reaction to various Federal programs and policies. Included are agendas, minutes, and resolutions of tribal business committees or other elected groups.
Box contents list.
Edward E. Hill, comp., Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, PI 163 (1965).
Related Microfilm Publications
M21, Letters sent by the bureau to the field, 1824-1881;
M208, Records of the Cherokee Indian Agency in Tennessee, 1801-35; M234, Letters received from the field, 1824-81;
M595, Indian census rolls, 1885-1940;
M685, Records relating to Enrollment of the Eastern Cherokee by Guion Miller, 1908-10;
M1011, Superintendents' annual narrative and statistical reports, 1928-35; 3-40;
M1059, Selected Letters Received by the OIL relating to the Cherokees of North Carolina, 1851-1907;
T496, Census roll of Cherokee east of the Mississippi, and index to the roll, 1835.
Access to case files on individual Indians is restricted because of privacy considerations.
Record Group 77
Records of the Office of the Chief of Engineers
The Corps of Engineers, U.S. Army, with headquarters at Washington, DC, was a result of orders of April 3, 1818. The military responsibilities of the Office of the Chief of Engineers (OCE) have included producing and distributing Army maps, building roads, planning camps, and constructing and repairing fortifications and other installations. Its civil duties have included maintaining and improving inland waterways and harbors, formulating and executing plans for flood control, operating dams and locks, and approving plans for the construction of bridges, wharves, piers, and other works over navigable waters. Expansion of the OCE's river and harbor improvement work after the Civil War necessitated the establishment of district offices throughout the United States. The engineer officer in charge of each district reported directly to the Chief of Engineers until 1888 when engineer divisions were created with administrative jurisdiction over the district offices.
Dates: 1821-1977 Volume: 2,571 cubic feet
- Canaveral, Florida, 1963-1969;
- Charleston, South Carolina, 1870-1920; 1937-1975;
- Gulf of Mexico, New Orleans, Louisiana, 1934-1935;
- Huntsville, Alabama, 1967-1972;
- Jacksonville, Florida,.1833-1971;
- Louisville, Kentucky, 1837-1975, including nontextual records consisting of a historical photograph file, 1881-1962, which documents the building and maintenance of locks, dams, and bridges, as well as extraordinary events, such as floods and boating accidents, primarily along the Ohio and Kentucky Rivers;
- Lower Mississippi Valley, Vicksburg, Mississippi, 1953-1973;
- Memphis, Tennessee, 1902-1975, include nontextual records consisting of maps of the Mississippi River and drawings of designs for flood control along the river;
- Mobile and Montgomery, Alabama, 1821-1974, including textual and nontextual records consisting of plans for the development of Fort Morgan, ca.1820's;
- Nashville, Tennessee, 1830-1969;
- Savannah, Georgia, 1821-1977, including a series of civil works projects files from the early 1900's including nontextual records, specifically aerial photographs of the Savannah River, and drawings and maps;
- South Atlantic, Atlanta, Georgia, 1953-1967;
- Tullahoma, Tennessee, 1949-1957;
- Vicksburg, Mississippi, 1870-1975;
- Wilmington, North Carolina, 1884-1965, including nontextual records consisting of drawings of the defense installations at Fort Caswell and Cape Fear starting in 1886.
Records of the Mississippi River Commission (including records consolidated from the MRC and the Lower Mississippi Valley Division and from the Third Mississippi River Commission District), Vicksburg, Mississippi, 1879-1967. (The Headquarters of the MRC, 1879-1906, was wherever the MRC president was stationed -- from 1906 to 1929, St. Louis; since 1929, Vicksburg). The records relate to projects accomplished annually, as well as organizational matters within the Commission. Included are annual reports, correspondence, field survey books, hydrological and hydraulic data files, and tide gauge records. Nontextual records include charts, maps, and photographs.
Records of the Waterways Experiment Station, Vicksburg, 1940-1975. The records relate to the planning, design, and construction of specific projects and include hydraulic, hydrological, geological, soil, and topographic data files, and civil works and investigational project files. Nontextual records include charts, engineering drawings, and maps.
Box contents lists for some records.
For Jacksonville and Mobile: draft preliminary inventories.
For Jacksonville and Savannah: civil works project files: folder title list.
For Louisville photographs: complete item list.
Related Microfilm Publications
M66, Letters Sent by the Topographical Bureau and Divisions within the OCE, 1829-70.
Record Group 79
Records of the National Park Service
The National Park Service was established in the Department of the Interior by an act of August 25, 1916. It supervises national parks, monuments, historic parks, memorials, parkways, recreation areas, and seashores and is responsible for the promotion and regulation of their use. It establishes and enforces regulations for use, protects parks from fire, regulates concession operators, investigates and recommends proposed new areas, acquires land, and constructs and maintains roads, trails, and buildings. It also engages in research and educational work such as managing guided tours and lectures, marking nature trails, maintaining museums and libraries, and preparing publications and studies in history, archeology, natural history, and wildlife.
Dates: 1865-1949 Volume: 118 cubic feet
- Andrew Johnson National Historic Site, Greeneville, Tennessee, 1956-1963;
- Cape Hatteras National Seashore, Manteo, North Carolina, 1945-1960;
- Cumberland Gap National Historic Park, Middlesboro, Kentucky, 1956-1969;
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Gatlinburg, Tennessee, 1933-1965;
- Natchez Trace Parkway, Tupelo, Mississippi, 1925-1965;
- Shiloh National Military Park, Tennessee, 1869-1950;
- Vicksburg National Military Park, Mississippi, 1865-1949.
Edward E. Hill, comp., Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the National Park Service, PI 166 (1966).
Record Group 83
Records of the Bureau of Agricultural Economics
The Bureau of Agricultural Economics was established in the Department of Agriculture on July 1, 1922. Until 1939, it conducted studies and disseminated information relating to agricultural production, crop estimates, marketing, finance, labor, and other agricultural problems, and administered several regulatory statutes. In 1939, marketing functions were transferred to the Agricultural Marketing Service and most land-utilization work was transferred to the Soil Conservation Service. In 1953, it was abolished and its functions were transferred to the Agricultural Research Service and the Agricultural Marketing Service.
The regional offices of the Bureau of Agricultural Economics were an outgrowth of those of the Farm Security Administration. When the overall planning functions of the Department of Agriculture were consolidated in the Bureau in 1938, personnel who had been engaged in land use planning work in the Farm Security Administration were transferred to the Bureau, and regional offices were established. In some cases, records of regional offices of the Farm Security Administration, the National Resources Committee, or the Land Utilization Division of the Resettlement Administration were interfiled with those of the Bureau's regional offices. The regional offices were abolished on June 30, 1946.
Dates: 1941-1945 Volume: 1 cubic foot
Records of the Southeast Regional Office, Atlanta. The records document planning for post-WWII adjustments in the rural South. Included are correspondence, minutes of meetings, reference material, and reports.
Record Group 88
Records of the Food and Drug Administration
The Agricultural Appropriations Act of 1931 designated the Food and Drug Administration to continue the regulatory functions of several agencies as established under the Food and Drugs Act of 1906. The Food and Drug Administration is responsible for enforcing various Federal food, drug, and hazardous substances acts and for promoting purity, standard potency, and honest and informative labeling of consumer products covered by those acts. The agency and most of its functions were transferred in 1940 to the Federal Security Agency, which became the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare in 1953.
Dates: 1966-1974 Volume: 9 cubic feet
Records of the Southern Regional Office, Atlanta. The region includes Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Tennessee. The records document administrative services and planning for several inspection programs, including accomplishments, finances and appropriations justifications, joint Federal-state activities, and reporting systems. The records are correspondence, plans, reports, and statistical compilations.
Record Group 90
Records of the Public Health Service, 1912-1968
The Public Health Service, originally called the Marine Hospital Service, has its origins in an act of July 16, 1798, which authorized hospitals for the care of sick and disabled American merchant seamen. The scope of its activities was greatly expanded by subsequent legislation, and it became part of the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare in 1955 after having been part of the Department of the Treasury from 1798 to 1939 and the Federal Security Agency from 1939 to 1953.
The Public Health Service operates marine hospitals, hospitals for specific diseases, medical facilities for Federal penal institutions, quarantine and health stations, and research institutions and laboratories. It conducts research into the cause, prevention, and control of disease and disseminates health information.
Dates: 1871-1919 Volume: 3 cubic feet
Records of the U.S. Marine Hospital, Mobile, 1871-1919. The records relate to the treatment of patients including liquors administered and measures to prevent yellow fever; and administration including construction and maintenance of the building. Included are correspondence, diet books, financial records, patient and prescription registers, and property records.
Record Group 92
Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General
In 1818, Congress created a Quartermaster's Department under a single Quartermaster General to ensure an efficient system of supply and accountability of Army officers who were responsible for monies or supplies. At various times, the Quartermasters had authority over procurement and distribution of supplies, pay, transportation, and construction. After a number of changes in functions and command relationships, Congress authorized a Quartermaster Corps in 1912 and designated its chief the Quartermaster General in 1914. The Corps was responsible for the operation of a number of general supply depots and subdepots throughout the United States. The Office of the Quartermaster General was abolished in 1962.
Dates: 1898-1957 Volume: 74 cubic feet
- 449th Quartermaster Depot, Atlanta, Georgia, 1965;
- General and Army Depot, Atlanta, Georgia, 1940-1966;
- General Depot, Memphis, Tennessee, 1940-1954;
- Quartermaster Depot, Atlanta, Georgia, 1918-1922;
- Quartermaster Depot, Camp Shelby, Mississippi, 1917-1920;
- Quartermaster Depot, Charlotte, North Carolina, 1940-1955;
- Quartermaster Depot, Montgomery, Alabama, 1946-1957;
- Quartermaster Depot, Port Tampa, Florida, 1898-1899;
- Quartermaster Depot, Savannah, Georgia, 1898-1899, 1940-1951.
The records relate to supplies received and shipped. Included are correspondence, financial records, memorandums, news clippings, orders, publications, reports, standard operating procedures, supply records, unit histories, and (for the Port Tampa Quartermaster Depot only) lists of deaths and burials. Nontextual records include photographs.
Records of the post quartermaster, Chattanooga, 1864-1874. The records relate to cemeteries, burials in the Chattanooga National Military Cemetery, and deaths and interments at Nelson General Hospital, Kentucky. Included are correspondence, memorandums, and reports of burials.
Partial index to burials in the Chattanooga National Cemetery.
Record Group 95
Records of the Forest Service
In 1881, a Division of Forestry was established in the Department of Agriculture. It became the Forest Service in 1905 when it assumed responsibility for the administration of forest reserves from the Department of the Interior. From 1933 to 1942, the Service supervised a large part of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) work program.
The Service is responsible for promoting the conservation and best use of national forests and grasslands through development of the National Forest System, cooperating with administrators of State and private forests, and conducting forest and range research programs.
In 1934 the Southern Regional Office, Region 8, was established from Region 7 with headquarters in Atlanta, and jurisdiction over the Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas. The Region acquired Puerto Rico from Region 7 in 1935; and Kentucky and Virginia from the abolished Region 7 in 1965. Puerto Rico was separated from Region 8 and separately administered by a series of tropical forestry units until 1974 when it was restored to Region 8. The current jurisdiction of the Southern Region is Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and eastern Oklahoma.
Dates: 1922-1975 Volume: 234 cubic feet
Records of the Southern Regional Office, Annual Inspection Reports. The records document the annual inspections by the Washington, D.C., office for the following divisions and offices:
- Maintenance ("Sec. 2"), fiscal years (FY)1938-1939;
- Farm Forestry Division, FY 1942-47;
- Fire Protection Division, FY 1930-1937;
- Land Use Areas (LUA), North Carolina and Tennessee only, FY 1940-1947;
- Naval Stores, FY 1937-1947;
- Planting Division, all Region 8, FY 1936-1948;
- Private Forest Management Division, FY1945-1947.
Records of the Southern Regional Office, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), 1937-1942. The records relate to the administration of the CCC in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas, including the planning, creation, supervision, inspection, and closing of camps, and to concerns about staffing, enrollment, and training. Included are correspondence and subject files.
Records of the Southern Regional Office, Engineering Division, 1966-1967. The records document the preparation of an overall regional transportation plan. They are primarily statistical information used to prepare the plan.
Records of the Southern Regional Office, Fire Control Division, 1964-1969. The records document the agency's work in fire prevention and fire fighting and largely consist of directives.
Records of the Southern Regional Office, Fiscal Control Division, Accounting Department, 1966. The records document the status of the working capital fund for the 1966 fiscal year and are correspondence.
Records of the Southern Regional Office, General Correspondence, 1922-1948. The records relate to general administrative matters, the supervision of the CCC program, and preparation for inspections by the Washington, D.C., office, ca.1938-1947, regarding the CCC, maintenance, farm forestry, fire protection, land use areas, naval stores, planting, private forest management, and general inspection issues. The records are correspondence.
Records of the Southern Regional Office, Information and Education Division, 1963-1967. The records document the public relations and educational aspects of the Forest Service related to the tree seedling program, prevention of fires, and conservation of natural resources. The records include a few references to the mascot, "Smokey the Bear" and his wife, "Goldie." The records include annual reports, correspondence, press releases, publications, and speeches.
Records of the Southern Regional Office, Land Acquisition and History Files, 1912-ca. 1965. These records document the acquisition of a considerable percentage of the national forest lands in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and North Carolina, and include information about the soil conditions, timber types, and, in some cases, the economic uses of areas being considered for inclusion as national forests. The records are primarily correspondence and reports. Nontextual records include a few maps.
Records of the Southern Regional Office, Operations Division, 1926-1971. The records document land planning, condemnation, and appraisal, law enforcement, cooperative intradepartmental ventures, training visits for forestry officials from South Africa, China, and Iraq, and the overall administrative work of the office. Included are circulars, directives, employee diaries, memorandums, and policy notices.
Records of the Southern Regional Office, Recreation and Watersheds Division, 1951-1968. The records document campsites, fishing sites, and other recreational sites in the national forests, including Lake Cumberland, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and projects for the protection of water supplies. The records include correspondence, directives, management plans, policy files, water quantity surveys and watershed surveys.
Records of the Southern Regional Office, State and Private Forestry Division, 1957-1958. The records document Forest Service work facilitating the improved management of privately owned or state owned forest areas. The records are committee files, correspondence, directives, press releases, and publications.
Records of the Southern Regional Office, Timber Management Division, 1958-1964. The records document the annual tree planting for the Yazoo-Little Tallihatchee River project supervised by the Jackson Area Office. The records are reports. Nontextual records include photographs of the project.
Nontextual Records of the Southern Regional Office, Photographs, 1927-1956. The photographs document all aspects of work in Region 8, including construction and maintenance of campsites, roads, and tree nurseries, wildlife conservation, and controlled hunting of bear, deer, and other game.
Nontextual Records of the Southern Regional Office, CCC Maps, 1937-1942. The maps document camp locations, emergency projects, timber resources, for CCC camps operated in national forests.
Nontextual Records of the Southern Regional Office, CCC Occupancy Cards, 1937-1942. The records document the dates of operation, types of work performed, and other summary information about camps in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas.
Nontextual Records of the Southern Regional Office, Boundary Modification Maps, ca. 1916. The folio of maps documents the acquisition of land, which formed the Nantahala National Forest in southwestern North Carolina, from the Little River Lumber Co.
Nontextual Records of the Southern Regional Office, Photomosaics, 1937-1944, 1967-1968. These aerial photographs create an overview of a particular forest area.
Records of the Gainesville, Georgia, area office, 1942-1970. The records document programs, activities, and the history of the office and the ranger districts it supervised, including land condemnation, and timber sales. There is a reproduction of the famous Woodrow Wilson-Gifford Pinchot letter which summarizes the philosophy of the Forest Service. Included are directives, employee diaries, history files, press releases, publications, ranger district plans, reports, and special use permits. Nontextual records include primary base series maps, 1966.
Records of the Jackson, Mississippi, area office, 1973-1975. The records document the history, programs, and activities of the office, and the Forest Service History Program. They include correspondence and history files.
Records of the Montgomery, Alabama, area office, 1944-1945, 1955-1967. The records document CCC accomplishments in some Alabama national forests, 1933-1942, timber production during World War II, 1944-1945, the use of POW's in timber harvesting, and other programs and activities of the area office. (The Washington, D.C., office established a Forest Service "history activity" in August, 1970, with instructions to prepare histories of various Forest Service accomplishments for the 1976 bicentennial. The Montgomery office prepared a report in response to this initiative.) The records include correspondence, directives, and reports.
Records of the Winchester, Kentucky, area office, 1969-1970. The records relate to the timber management program and consist of correspondence and statistical tables.
Records of the Tallulah Ranger District, Clayton, Georgia, 1959-1967. The records document the program to encourage multiple uses of the Chattahoochee National Forest and other national forests. Records include directives, plans, publications, and reports.
Records of the Northeastern Forest Experiment Station, Berea (Kentucky) Unit, 1968. The records concern research at the station and are policy directives.
Records of the Southeastern Forest Experiment Station, Asheville, North Carolina, 1958-1971. The records concern the forest and watershed protection, timber management, wildlife habitat, and utilization of forest resources in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, parts of Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Tennessee, and the surveying of forests in North Carolina, 1952. The records include annual reports, 1958-1964, correspondence, and research manuscripts. Nontextual records include aerial photographs, charts, graphics, and maps.
Records of the Southern Forest Experiment Station, Stoneville, Mississippi, 1957-1970. The records document forests, forest diseases, tree propagation, and other aspects of silviculture research of the southern forests, including Puerto Rico. There is a manuscript on Silvical Characteristics of Important Forest Trees of the U.S. "Silviculture" is the art of cultivating a forest. The records include a manuscript and publications.
For Southern Regional Office, General Correspondence: Folder title list.
For Southern Regional Office, Civilian Conservation Corps: Folder title list.
For Southern Regional Office, Photographs, 1927-1956: Electronic database on which the photographs are searchable by forest, title of photo, or photo number.
Harold T. Pinkett, comp., and Terry W. Good, rev., Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the Forest Service, PI 18 (1969).
Charlotte Ashby, comp., Preliminary Inventory of the Cartographic Records of the Forest Service, PI 167 (1967).
Record Group 96
Records of the Farmers Home Administration
The Farmers Home Administration (FHA) was established in the Department of Agriculture by an act of August 14, 1946, to succeed the Farm Security Administration (FSA), which had been established in 1937. The FSA succeeded the Resettlement Administration, which had been established in 1935 to administer rural rehabilitation and land programs begun in 1933 under the Subsistence Homesteads Division of the Department of the Interior and the Federal Emergency Relief Administration.
The FHA provides small farmers with credit to construct or repair homes, improve farming operations, or become farm owners, and gives individual guidance in farm and home management.
Dates: 1934-1946 Volume: 366 cubic feet
Records of Region 4 (Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia) and Region 5 (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, and South Carolina). The records relate to rural rehabilitation loans; farm ownership loans; construction projects; crop production; low-cost medical care programs; administration of the regional office; and resettlement projects, such as Cumberland Homesteads, Tennessee; Penderlea Homesteads, North Carolina; Christian-Trigg Farms, Kentucky; and Shenandoah Homesteads, Virginia. They are audit reports, case files, correspondence, and loan and financial files. Nontextual records include blueprints and maps.Records of selected county offices in the southeastern states, 1934-1944, as follows:
- Alabama: Dallas, Elmore, Marshall, Shelby;
- Florida: Lee, Orange, Volusia;
- Georgia: Hart, Worth;
- Kentucky: Bell, Nelson;
- Mississippi: Attala, Carroll, Jasper;
- North Carolina: Bertie, Forsyth, Pender, Wake;
- South Carolina: Berkeley;
- Tennessee: Davidson, Franklin, Moore, Perry, Williamson.
Entries 56 through 95, and 133 in Stanley W. Brown and Virgil E. Baugh, comps., Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the Farmers Home Administration, PI 118 (1959).